7.75 miles along the Rachel Carson trail from North Park to Hartwood. Zoomable here.
- The first little bit, from the parking lot, is on a trail with “flag of japan” blazes. The main RC trail is yellow blazes.
- The last leg, southward toward Hartwood, is a red-blazed spur trail. When you reach Wagner Rd, turn right, and follow the blazes to Edgehill. When you get confused, look for a faded sign that says “trail ->”. The trail comes out behind a dome shaped building near the mansion.
- Part of that red-blazed spur trail is on somebody’s property who has blacked out the blazes and put up an electric fence. There is probably a route around it, but we couldn’t find it.
- Above all, get the official guidebook from the rachel carson website ($16 magazine-sized book). The trails are hard to follow without it.
- Oh yeah, it’s a rough trail, and the first couple miles have a ton of wet stream crossings.